How to use a compass and map navigation courses
Compass navigation courses are about knowing your location, your destination and how to arrive safely. We run navigation courses to help you to read a compass and stay on course.
We teach you which compass and map techniques to use, and when. This is an absolute necessity for successful land navigation and staying on track when visibility is reduced.
This compass course is hands-on from the outset developing strong land navigation skills which can be used when mountain walking anywhere in the world.
The How to use Compass and map course covers:
- Map setting methods;
- Learn about different terrain features;
- Learn how to measure and calculate distance using a range of map scales;
- How to use the scale of features on the ground;
- How to use a compass, and follow a bearing;
- Reduced visibility navigation skills of pacing and timing;
- Re-location using map and compass.
Learning how to navigate with a compass is good fun. You will be given route planning tips and the using equipment such as Global Positioning Systems (GPS).
Hills v mountain navigation course location
Above Pitlochry the terrain is ideal for land navigation. The hills are covered in heather and grass with tracks and paths for access and a multitude of hill and mountain terrain features to hone your skills.
If there are a group of you wanting to learn how to use a compass and map course near you. This can be done, we will need to discuss the terrain near you to find suitable mountain, hill or moorland, to ensure you get the most from the experience.
Here is more information specifically about Pitlochry guided walks
What to wear walking.
The course covers your choice of outdoor clothing and equipment you need for different seasons and hills and mountain terrain.
For this Hill-walking navigation course you will need:-
- Suitable clother to suit summer or winter conditions
- Strong, sturdy walking boots.
- A map, compass, map case (see recommendations below) and watch will be needed too.
- OS Landranger - map 43 Braemar and Blair Atholl.
- Silva Expedition 4 compass – please double check your compass has 360 degrees around the outside and is not a military style compass in mils.
- Ortlieb Map Case, size A5
We can supply maps and have some spare kit - please ask in advance if you would like to borrow anything and we will do our best to assist.
All our navigation courses begins with a 2 hour theory session in a 'classroom' setting. In Pitlochry we then transfer to the undulating mountain walking terrain below Ben Vrackie the mountain above Pitlochry for the rest of the day.
This compass navigation course can be delivered across Scotland, please enquire for other recommended locations.