Tips for Driving Scotland
We are regularly meet people who ask for our driving Scotland tips. Whether you are here driving in the Scottish Highlands or looking for the highway code Scotland wide. Understanding single track roads Scotland good practice, is here.
So we have put together this page aimed at driving in Scotland the main points we have been asked.
Tips for driving in Scotland.
Scotland’s roads are the same as the rest of the UK. The highway Code Scotland is the same as the rest of the UK.
The speed limit in Scotland is the same as the UK. For cars, towns are generally 30mph or 48.3 Km per hour. Some towns and villages have a 20mph or 32Km per hour special limit. The 'national speed limit' means a limit of 60mph or 95Km per hour on single carriageway roads and 70mph or 110km per hour on dual carriageways and motorways.
How hard is it to drive in Scotland?
The main roads are no different to the rest of the UK. It is the smaller country roads of Scotland that can be more challenging.
The challenge is driving a single track road and driving the Scottish Highlands with its many narrow roads. Our Tips for driving in Scotland are:-
• Always drive at speeds within the speed limits that you feel comfortable with. Do NOT try to drive fast. Enjoy the scenery, with frequent stops for the views.
• Always use your mirrors so you know what is going on behind you. If there is a vehicle close up behind, they probably are hoping to pass you.
• Always allow faster vehicles to pass you safely, by:- Dropping your speed when you come to s straight stretch of road, so they can quickly and safely pass you. OR by pulling in to a layby and allow faster traffic past.
• When you come up to a vehicle driving slower than you, drive close if you wish to overtake. If you do NOT want to overtake, leave a good space between yourselves and the vehicle so other road users can overtake you safely.
• Remember driving in Scotland should be enjoyable. So take your time and enjoy the scenery. If you do not like driving on the narrow roads hire one of the Pitlochry Car Tour vehicles. We would suggest driving your car on the main roads, hiring a Pitlochry Car Tour driver for the day or afternoon for those more difficult roads. Pitlochry Car Tour will drive you in their car and tell you lots of things that the average tourist never discovers.
Highway Code Scotland.
The Highway Code Scotland is the same as the whole of the UK. The UK Highway Code applies to England, Scotland and Wales. If you have never driven in Scotland and the UK before recommend you become familiar with the driving laws in Scotland.